The Hauraki Thames Valley Hockey 90th Celebrations
1927 - 2017
We celebrated 90 years of hockey in the district with both past and present members gathering at the Ngatea turf to watch the youngest Under 11 teams play, followed by a star packed exhibition match.
The Latest Thames Valley Blackstick Tarryn Davey, Lloyd Stephenson, over 100 caps for his country, current and past National gold medalists and NZ representatives, joined forces with Thames Valley Intercity and Under 18 players to showcase some quality hockey, with amusing commentary provided by Alex Quinn, Larry Simmonds and Tex Stephenson.
Speeches by Lorraine Hayward, former NZ representative hockey player and Graham Courtney, both Life Members of Thames Valley Hockey, followed, where they talked about the early days, playing on the old Hayward cow paddock, complete with cow pats, home made uniforms and the benefits to the district the building of the artificial turf brought.
Lloyd Stephenson, the first home grown Thames Valley Blackstick introduced the guest speaker and current Black Sticks Mens Coach Darren Smith, who has a long association with Thames Valley as a coach, player and administrator. Darren spoke of his fondness for Thames Valley and playing his final game in an illustrious career of over 200 caps for New Zealand at the turf in Ngatea.
Patron Esther Chenowyeth together with Noel Ipsen cut the cake. Check out the Photo Album on our facebook page.
In the beginning...... In April of 1927 the Hauraki Plains Ladies Hockey Association was formed. Mr J Nicholson was elected President. The inaugural club competition was won by Waitakaruru, who received the shield donated by Mr Nicholson and which bears his name. The Nicholson Shield is still contested for every year by the Senior Women's teams and was this year won by Ngatea Strikers who defeated Waitakaruru in the final.
In 1928 the Thames-Hauraki Men's Hockey Association was formed from the plains clubs of Turua, Ngatea and Kopuarahi and Thames clubs Thames and Thames-Foundry. The Crease Cup (since replaced by the Stan Wilson Cup) and the Gage Brown Cup were donated and are still in use today.